02.14 Measuring device for otology
This measuring tool, designed and manufactured by Audio Technologies, is used with a slider to determine the exact length of both stapes – and ossicular prosthesis. The tool is in stainless steel and can be sterilized in an autoclave or dry.
- Hold the measuring device as a pen
- Measure the distance between the two points in the surgery field
- Place the notch which highlights the wide end portion of the first point
- Slide with the finger till the chuck, flowing out of the needle, reaches second point
- The distances are displayed on the mandrel in millimeters
In the case of stapedioplasty the first point is represented by the long apophysis of the incus and the second point by the footplate.
The graduated slot on the handle of the measuring device (ref. 02.14) shows the length in millimeters between the incus and the footplate.
The length can be used to choose, cut or adjust the stapes prosthesis to the needed length.